Friday 30 January 2009

All Great Writers Start Their Stories Bravely...

Saw this caption when DH and I had dinner at The Apartment in KLCC last Friday....Friday is usually our night out...ni terlebih night outlah dah terboyot ni....by the way the last check up with Dr Ashar showed that we might have another boy, alhamdulillah!

Coming back to the caption, I dont really understand what it really means, is it that writers start writing bravely, or their stories they wrote show how brave the stories that they have through in their lives....doenst matter...actually this whole blogging thing was initiated by DH and my daughter...I might seem very chatty, bising sana bising sini, leter orang sana leter orang sini (esp those network guys)...kat office aje, at home my children contol me...I like to thing of myself as rather a private person...nak ceghita apa kat orang semua...then DH had this idea that I should put all the recipies that I cook in my blog, hence Kitchen Guardian...

Days and years passed by, I had Hajar and with the lack of time (excuse je)and Kitchen Guardian remained so so....until recently sometime in November 2008 I met this lady who is a freelance writer with a few local magazine during a meeting for us all to take up an editing job (for me, on the sidelah) and she started telling me of her story and how she started to write...she started when her family economy was not gloomy and her husband's income was not enough to go round...and now, she said she works based on the hours that she commands and the writing/editing job that she wishes to do. She also whispered to me that her monthly income is in the 5 figure amount, wow!! I'd love to do that, work at your own time and get that kind of income, she also assured me that there arent many accomplished local writers, and she encouraged me to write, in fact ever since my first encounter with her, she has been referring jobs of that nature to me...only to be turned down by me due to my time constraint. Well, I thought rezeki orang, but then again I also have this thing about working at home and for the last few years have been thinking hard about this, but didnt know how or where to start....

I got the editing job, my first assignment was to edit a book of about 250 pages for this private college, which cheque have just came in recently, woohoo, alhamdulillah. Am working on another book, this time about 400+ pages...most of the RM will go to my tabung haji....hmm think it's all your goals, what you tell yourself and your nawaitu, self affirmation...hence, why I have started writing again in Kitchen Guardian. I still have a long way to go when it comes to creative writing because I was trained to write facts (sebenarqnya i realise now I am happier if I can spend the whole day in the market, supermarket and in the kitchen)...facts yang now dah jadi boring, tiap tiap hari baca contracts, comment contracts and create contracts....

4 comments:

Mama Huptihup said...

congratulations!! wah dah jd madam editor lah pulak skrg ni...ohhh how i envy u..i baru2 ni ada rift skit dgn one publisher :( sakit hati punya pasal i diam dulu..later baru i nka email dia balik...buruk perangai i haha....anyway, dedulu i adalah jugak buat proofreading and copywriting and translation...but dah lama x buat..maybe i shud try again kan...wah another motivation ni..good!!!

tireless mom said...

Dear KG

Make sure you start the editing job with a contract concluded first : )

KG said...

lyana,

i amazed by you all punya talents..i ni kes bidan terjun...well, kena terjunlah if want to have a change in your life...tapi hang and naz memang very very brave...am emulating your courage!

tireless mom,

thanks for visiting...yes since buat contract is my bread and butter...the last editing job punya contract bukan saja i coment and amend, i punggah and reconstruct terus, ha ha...thanks for the reminder:)yes, have been getting late payments for translation works before, tapi alhamdulillah, the cheques mashuk!!

Madam Tai Tai Again said...

Hi Yani,

I recall meeting you last year at SW's house. You told me that you have a blog that has been abandoned. I'm glad you have decided to continue with it again, esp with the wonderful recipes. I tried the ikan dish once, and it was delicious!

Btw, can I have your yahoo email add? I would like to invite you to continue to read my blog (that is if you nak lah!). At the moment it is on restricted access.

Related Posts with Thumbnails